02 Nov IRONY & INTELLIGENCE
“..THE TEST OF A FIRST-RATE INTELLIGENCE IS THE ABILITY TO HOLD TWO OPPOSED IDEAS IN THE MIND AT THE SAME TIME, AND STILL RETAIN THE ABILITY TO FUNCTION. ONE SHOULD, FOR EXAMPLE, BE ABLE TO SEE THAT THINGS ARE HOPELESS AND YET BE DETERMINED TO MAKE THEM OTHERWISE.” – F. SCOTT FITZGERALD (1936)
REFLECTIONS OF WIL – 02.11.17
I’ve been having thoughts recently, regarding the point, or rather, the pointlessness of certain activities and more specifically, ways of living. Ways of being.
I watched one of these ‘motivational videos’ talking of ways in which to succeed. SUCCEED? In what! Not being dead yet..? It was the classic video that goes on as if money was the answer. Money; those pieces of paper exchanged for peoples lives, peoples time on this earth, that can be used in exchange for goods, necessities, strippers.. or as each person so desires.
The general, and possibly most intelligent observation to take from this situation, is surely to maximise your time in order to pass your time in any way you wish. But, here comes the irony; within the ‘developed’ world; money becomes a sort of necessity in order to function as part of said world. Therefore, with the exception of going rogue, an exchange for said time must be made.
Now to my point, and to my confusion.
Why are we spending our time in exchange for money in such dreary and uninspired ways? Why are we willing, content or just downright blissfully unaware in how we wish to spend our time?
(As with most of these blogs, this is more of a personal narrative, in which i’m talking to myself as much as anyone else. I find it useful, in an intelligently ironic way…)
Here’s a list of reasons I could think of:
- We spend far too much time thinking and worrying over things out of our control, which inhibits both our motivation, energy and mental positivity to change things we DO control to work in our advantage.
- What we want is scary, takes work and effort.
- Alike to our physical being, we like to take the easy way out. Just like water, we seek the path of least resistance. I guess that’s how we’ve evolved into the species we are today..
- It’s normal. I mean, not normal for a human being, but normal for society. Herd Behaviour 101..
- We want to make others happy. We want to make others proud. Are we proud of ourselves? Ironic.
- Lack of basic education.
- The average 5 people you surround yourself with are not allowing you to evolve. By evolve I mean grow as a person, not necessarily genetically. “But I’m a million different people from one day to the next” – Bittersweet Symphony (The Verve)
- We like putting things in boxes. A common excuse, “I can’t do X because i’m Y. Only an X can do that..” Related to the last point especially. Why do we seem to believe we should keep static opinions? Static thoughts and a set direction? Can a person not change their view, their way of thinking?
- Exposing the fruits of your labour, as opposed to labouring simply for a few juicy fruits. The irony of exposing your practice vs. practising to expose. The trap of social media, impatience and a quick fix. A point very much at the forefront of my mind of late, an oxymoron at times. Tell a story or hide away until the fruits have blossomed? Use or be used..
When I reflected upon these reasons, something struck me; there are far less points that can solve many of these reasons creating those boundaries.
- Forget about the things out of your control. Who are you, superman?
- Keep it simple. Keep it minimal. Space is your friend.
- Challenge your opinions. Be critical with your thoughts.
- Surround yourself with people who will hold you to the above, fill your time with memories and help you to experience things worth living.
- Shoshin (Beginners mind) yet with the ability, confidence and openness to Teachothers. Teaching is such a beautiful practise, as you learn so much.
- Educate yourself. Read. Think.. for yourself, not because a magazine or blog told you to..
Disclaimer: I would like to add i’m an incapable, hopeless human alike to the rest of my species. I do not claim to have any higher power, knowledge or other aspect of being that means I have succeeded at life. In fact, far from it.. If you managed to read this far, my word, I congratulate you!! Thank you, I hope you got what you were searching for.
I choose to write these as and when I feel like putting some rambling thoughts down on paper, and since my notebook doesn’t get much social media activity, I thought this may be a better way to reach those interested. If there is any.. Either way, it’s an enjoyable way to pass MY TIME.
If you have any comments, ideas or suggestions, staying true to my own advice, i’m always keen to learn! Thank you again for reading.